Fire Permit Requirements call us on 04 237 9613 or in case of fire phone 111

Fire Permit Requirements


A Permit is required for all fires:

  • Campfire
  • Rubbish fire
  • Controlled burn
  • Prescribed burn

In the Wellington Rural Fire District there are two fire seasons: Restricted and Prohibited.

Fire SeasonPermit Status
Prohibited Fire Season Total ban on lighting fires. Existing permits are suspended.
Restricted Fire Season Yes - you will need a permit.


If you have a permit and the fire season becomes prohibited, your permit will be suspended. You cannot light open fires if it is a prohibited fire season.

If you start a fire and it needs to be suppressed, you may have to pay the costs, regardless of whether you have a permit.

Responsible for Costs

Individuals found to be responsible for causing rural fires that escape have faced costs in excess of $500,000. It is an offence to light an open fire without a permit. If you do not have a permit and light a fire, you can be charged under the Forest and Rural Fires Act 1977.

If a member of the Police or a Rural Fire Officer asks you to produce a permit, you must do so within a reasonable time. If you do not, this is considered an offence.

Contact the Wellington Rural Fire Authority

To apply for a permit, you will need to contact the WRFA. You will need to provide the relevant information so we can assess your application for a permit.

Apply online - Fire Permit Application Form

Please check with the Department of Conservation if you wish to light a fire at any time on public lands managed by the department.

What insurance protection do I need to cover any potential fire related costs, losses and liabilities? 

  • You will need to consider insurance of property for loss and replacement from fire (house, household effects, other buildings, vehicles, plant & machinery, forests & crops), Public Liability Insurance (cover cost of damage and loss to a third party from fire that escapes from your property and damages other parties property) and Forest & Rural Forest Act fire suppression insurance (cover the costs of fire suppression from a fire caused by you or started on your property.  Cover is required under Section 43, 46 & 46A of the Forest & Rural Fires Act 1977. 
  • Check your Insurance Policy today!
  • Remember to talk to your insurer to confirm cover and appropriate limits.